Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Back to School.....

School started and with it came the craziness!  The long days, the stressing out over students, parents,etc,  worrying about sports, hiring coaches who can pass a drug test :), ordering uniforms, forming teams, and answering email after email.  I could not imagine answering more emails if I was a director of a large corporation and not just director of lower school sports.  I love the chaotic and the stress and I would not have it any other way.  I love going to work everyday and could not imagine staying at home.  I am not sure how I stayed at home for the 15 years of my marriage.  I often say if I would have worked I maybe would have stayed married.  I doubt it but it would have helped.  When Stewart and I got married, many questioned if I would return to work.  Oh yes, oh hell yes for many many reasons.  The main reason is I love being dependent and responsible for my own self.  Another is I need to be busy, I like down time but can not take too much in a day or I would lose my mind.  Summer was incredible and fun but work is also good.  It also makes me appreciate the incredible and fun that much more.  The first week of summer almost drove me nuts!  Stewart came home everyday and I was grouchy!!  All I did was cook for the kids, entertain the kids, run the kids everywhere, etc.  I just can't handle it on a day to day basis.  Not working also turns me into a very traditional person.  And over time I know this can lead to a lot of trouble and resentment.  I am LUCKY LUCKY to be married to an extremely neat and clean man who thinks nothing of cleaning the house, doing laundry, doing dishes, cooking, etc without even being asked.  He makes the bed daily followed by breakfast. But over the summer I began to slowly take on the role as housewife.  I clean and cook and clean and cook.  I get up and make Stewart's breakfast and lunch.  I make casseroles to freeze.  This is wonderful for a short time but something I can only take in small doses. 

Tri season is over and I had a blast!  I am running for fitness and running enough to do a few half's along with Stewart as he prepares for the full.  I am doing kick boxing, yoga, and some weights.  No real schedule and it is heavenly.  The girls have gymnastics three days a week for 3 hours.  They don't even leave school until 7:30 on these nights.  Yay for making team!  The boys are both running cross country, I am coaching with Stewart as  a co coach and I oversee 6 lower school soccer teams, tennis, flag football, run club, and yoga.  I love it.  My days usually start at 5:00 and end around 7:30.  Some days I am lucky and get home earlier but not often.  What I love the most about my job is teaching kids.  Talking to them about healthy bodies and exercise, making good choices that will effect them for life.  I am lucky to get to teach wellness to 1st-4th this year as well as PE.  I love talking to my cross country kids about reaching goals, going after hard things, pushing when things are hard, and never giving up.  All lessons that not just go to running but I can apply to their school work and their life as they get older.  I know 99% of them aren't listening but I keep on anyway because one day it will sink in with one of them or 6 months from now they may remember it when things get tough.  I LOVE teaching my runners to yell I am a BEAST when they feel like giving up.  Nothing better than hearing middle schoolers yelling I am a  BEAST in the middle of 400's at 6:45 on a school morning.  Mostly I just like making an impact on their day.  I love when the kids talk to me in the hall, send me texts, send me emails, or for  the little ones give me hugs.  I love today as I walked through the cafeteria a group of 3rd grade girls yell come eat with us and I did and it was maybe my best lunch date this year. 

So I am back in full swing and the school year has led me to a couple of bottles  of wine this year but it also has offered so much more....

1 comment: